Friday 13 February 2015

Faryl Smith

   So it's been a while since I last managed to get round to writing a new blog post due to the stress of assignment deadlines and January exams! Thankfully that's all out the way now, so I can get back to blogging! I've decided to take a slightly different approach with my blog to make it more blog like, so expect lots of interviews, reviews and my opinion on events happening around the world!
   As my first post in a while, I knew that this one had to be a pretty big one, so therefore I incredibly grateful to be given the chance to interview Faryl Smith! I used to sing with Faryl in Masquerade before she auditioned for Britain's Got Talent, as well as singing in concerts since we got her recording contract and for backing on her first solo album. Therefore I grabbed the chance to ask her about what 2015 is going to bring both for herself and for her career!

Who have been the greatest influences on your singing journey so far?
   Lots of great classical singers gave me valuable advice at the start of my career, Placido Domingo, Jose Carreras, Lesley Garrett and Bryn Terfel. They were all people that I admired and looked up to. They all advised me to take my time with my career and to enjoy myself. 

What is the one thing you hope to achieve above all else?
   I hope to one day have the main role in an opera. It will take a lot of time and hard work, but that would be my final goal. 

Who are your favourite contemporary singers?
   I love all of Beyonce’s songs. Not just her voice but the way she performs because she owns the stage.

Will there be another solo album?
   Not at the moment as I currently want to concentrate and put all of my efforts into developing my voice and performing. However we will see about maybe doing another album in the future!

What advice would you give to young singers hoping to follow in your footsteps?
   I would say try to get as many experiences in performing in front of an audience as you can. Maybe join a choir as it brings out your confidence. It also makes the experience enjoyable as you will make lots of friends.

You were incredibly young when you entered the industry, how did you manage to keep grounded?
   I think having a close family around me at all times made me grounded. My mum definitely made sure that it didn’t affect me in any way.

What’s been the most challenging moment for you so far?
   The most challenging thing was probably trying to balance both my full time career and also GCSE’s & A levels. I thankfully got through everything with good grades, but it was very difficult to balance.

What’s been the most rewarding moment of your career to date?
   I don’t think I would be able to pick just one thing! I have had some amazing experiences that I will never forget. Performing in front of the Queen several times and having the chance to meet her was probably one of the most rewarding moments of my career. 

What would be your advice to anyone hoping to break the industry?
   Always do what you feel is the best thing for you. Enjoy and try to appreciate every experience that you have and make sure that you take lots of pictures. I now have albums full that I love looking back at, as there are so many lovely memories. But most importantly, enjoy it!

What can we expect from you in 2015?
   I have been accepted into several music conservatoires in London and I am currently trying to make the difficult decision of one to choose. I plan to study hard, achieve a degree in music and still perform regularly. I have many events coming up that I am really excited about, for example performing for Royalty and Wembley again.

No comments:

Post a Comment