Monday 3 November 2014

Katie Wilson

 
   So, after mentioning it in a post last month, I finally got round to interviewing Katie! As a journalism student it was actually quite daunting having to come up with the questions, as I want the interview to interest you and to allow Katie to talk in as much depth as possible about her blog! For my first interview, I'm actually quite pleased with how it went, I think I've managed to let her cover all aspects of her blog as I chose to go for more open-ended questions. Once you've given the interview a read I definitely recommend going and checking out her blog - thekatiewilsonlife.blogspot.co.uk/

What's your blog about?
   Initially I set out to make a fashion blog, I wanted to fill my little space on the internet with all the trends you could imagine, and easy ways to recreate these looks with items on the high street but I soon realised I was limiting myself to just a tiny slice of the massive cake that is blogging! I pretty soon started creating posts on beauty products and at Halloween I actually did my first baking post, which was a little scary because anyone that knows me knows I'm awful in the kitchen! In answer to the question, my blog is just about little bits and pieces, some would criticise that it doesn't have a theme, but the theme is me, it's about my life, and I don't think my life has one theme!

What inspired you? 
   Lots of factors actually contributed to me starting my blog. I was in a weird place in my life when all my friends were moving away and I didn't have a clue what I was doing. I actually explained in my first or second post that I started my blog in order to let my friends know what I was up to while they were off having the time of their life. In the back of my mind I had always fancied it, I'd read other blogs and thought I could give it a go but I had this nagging feeling that no one would read it and it would end as quickly as it had started, that's why it took so long for me to just start it. I was very concerned what other people would think of me and I had to grow out of that first!

What/ who are your inspirations?
   This is difficult because I don't want to sound clichéd. I suppose around 2 years ago I discovered this amazing, almost new breed of people we've come to refer to as YouTubers, who I later came to realise were like a group of evolved bloggers. I discovered blogs belonging to the likes of Tanya Burr and Zoella and the fact that they just blog about anything and everything inspires me. I also love Hannah Maggs, she has an amazing blog. I have recently come across Ella Grace Denton's blog weneedtolivemore.com I'd say she's a pretty big inspiration! A big mix!

What do you aim to achieve?
   At the minute, nothing.  I've achieved what I set out to do, my friends read my blog, they've subscribed via email which is exciting! I've already achieved more than I imagined. For a start I'm still at it, and I absolutely love it. It means I'm not talking my mum or dad or brother or sister's ear off about things they're not interested in. Like I mentioned before I have this little space on the internet now where I can waffle on about everything and if people want to read it then that's great but if they don't they don't have to! The fact that you want to interview me for your blog, I see that as an incredible achievement. Right now I am happy with what I've already achieved so I have no other goals in mind, for the foreseeable future that is!

Would you recommend blogging?
   100%. I think blogging is really for anyone who wants to do it. You can tailor the work load to your specific needs. Right from the word go I decided I wanted to post regularly, more than once a week, not quite anticipating the sheer amount of work that goes into it. However you don't have to have a schedule, you can just update when you've got something to talk about! Despite the time it takes out of day to day life, I can't see myself not blogging now. Obviously there are those days/weeks when you just feel uninspired and as if you can't be bothered but when I get like that I have to remember why I started. All I have to do is think about what my friends would like to see and I've more than likely got 3/4 posts to contend with! You get out what you put in, anyone who can keep that in mind can run a blog.

What do you find most challenging blogging about your topic?
   I think the fact that I don't have a fixed specific topic can sometimes be difficult, I sometimes don't really know where to go next. Fashion and beauty can be difficult because you're shoving your personal preferences right out there, and stuff that I like certainly won't be the same as what the next person likes! I think it would be realistic to say I sometimes try to please everyone, when really my blog is for me and the fact that other people like it is an added bonus. Being a people pleaser is challenging but in general it's the schedule that is often challenging. These past few weeks I've been busy with work and open days and the like, so it can be difficult to regularly update. I feel guilty but I have to remember people would rather see something that's had thought put into it than a quick random update. There I go people pleasing again!

How would you describe your blogging style?
   From a very young age I was always told I wrote like I worked for Hello magazine, which didn't bode well for me in essay writing subjects! Now I think I just write as if you might actually be having a conversation with me, at least that's what I think, it's going to be embarrassing if that's not coming across! I'd say it varies though, depending on which post it is, a haul or a favourites post is perhaps a bit more chatty but perhaps my a/w 14 post sounded a bit more formal. However people read them I always want there to be an element of me in them, so there's probably a lot of bad jokes or me thinking I'm a lot funnier than I am, but if you spoke to me face to face that's exactly what it would be like!

What is your favourite thing about blogging? 
   I get to ramble about things I love without getting on anyone's nerves, well not face to face anyway! Seriously though, I can't describe it, perhaps escapism from day to day life? Not that my daily life is bad, just having a little project for myself that I really love to do. I don't know, I don't think there is one thing about it, I love all of it!

What's your favourite post?
   I liked pucker up because it was the first post I took photos for which was quite exciting! I also loved the iTunes tag because although it went up a long time after I'd written it, I was so proud of myself for getting all those videos on it without putting my fist through the computer, it took a long time! My favourite though has to be A/W 14, I was just so proud of it because it was my first real post and I spent hours refreshing my memory with all the A/W shows doing 'research'. After I'd published the post I actually thought to myself "Oh, OK this is real, I'm going to be a blogger!"

No comments:

Post a Comment