Sunday 30 November 2014

Rowing Camp

   So this weekend we had an intense training camp for rowing. Both days were long, 8am-3pm and 9am-3pm, and it's safe to say they were killer! The whole aim of the weekend was to focus on our technique, so that we can therefore row to a higher standard and continue to do well in races. I've definitely noticed a difference in how I row over the weekend, so hopefully that'll put us in good stead for the race next Saturday!

Saturday 29th November
   Dragging myself out of bed at 6:30am was honestly the worst feeling in the world on a Saturday, the one day of the week I like to lie in! Plus it meant I had to walk to the bus stop in the dark, and anybody who knows me knows I hate walking when it's dark, I like to be able to see things properly!
   When we arrived we were told we were going to be doing various different sessions over the weekend, which would be overlooked by our coach Josh. Our first session was a water session. As there were only 3 of us fresher girls we were put in a boat with 5 seniors, which was really beneficial when it came to pushing ourselves and improving our technique, as we could mirror the seniors. We were lucky enough to be on the water for around 2 hours, compared to the 45 minutes we usually get. Having a longer session was so useful, as we got to put everything we were learning into practice for longer until we got it. Rowing so early in the morning was really peaceful, and it definitely woke me up too! We focused on rowing using just our arms and then building up to a quarter slide and a half slide, so that we could fully understand the order in which our body has to move to give each stroke the most power.
   Our second session was on the urgs. We had to do a power session to get us more used to just how much power we need for races, as well as help us with our recovery. We did 3 reps of 12 minutes with a 4 minute break in between - 2 minutes at rate 15, 2 minutes recovery, 2 minutes at rate 20, 2 minutes recovery, 2 minutes at rate 25 and 2 minutes recovery. By the third rep we were all pretty exhausted, but it really helped us realise how important power is to get the boat moving, and how important recovery is to get you ready for the next stroke or set of strokes at a different rate.
   Our final session was on the play boats, as there wasn't enough of us to do anything too hardcore. The play boats are one man boats, and they looked really confusing! I was feeling a bit queasy, so decided against going in as you are completely in charge of the balance and I knew I'd wobble all over the place! I loved watching everyone else in them though, and I know I'll have a go next time as they'll be good experience and may help my rowing technique even more as I'll have two oars to contend with and not just one!

Sunday 30th November
   Today wasn't quite so bad as we didn't have to be there until 9, so I got to lie in until 7:30 which I definitely appreciated! Once again the day was built up of sessions, however we didn't get a fun session today in the play boats, we had four proper sessions to work on technique and help build our strength.
   Our first session was weights. We had 8 different stations including a dead lift, bench press and plank, and we had a minute and a half to do 10 reps per station, unless of course you were planking in which case you had to plank for the full minute and a half. Once we'd completed a full circuit we had a 2 minute break before doing it again. In total we did it three times and it's safe to say I didn't think you'd sweat doing weights, but we all did! I was actually quite surprised that I could lift any of the weights as well, because for those of you that know me you'll know I'm normally pretty weak... Surprisingly I'm also looking forward to doing more weight sessions as well, as I know it'll make me a much better rower.
   For our second session we spent 20 minutes on core exercises, which has made me decide that I definitely don't have a core... After having already planked for a good four and a half minutes I was nearly in tears at the fact I had to do another two minutes. I definitely think I'm beginning to improve on core exercises however, as I now seem able to hold them for longer than I could during my first circuits session. It's actually quite a nice feeling afterwards and the following morning as well being able to feel that you've really worked them! Again, much as I may moan when I have to do them and much as I really detest having to do core work, I know it'll make me a much stronger and fitter rower, which is obviously exactly what I want to achieve!
   We had a brief break between our second and third session as Agecroft were in training their senior teams, and there aren't enough urgs for all of us! We didn't have to wait too long though as they started during our core work, so it was only around a 10 minute gap. Urg sessions tend to be the most dreaded sessions by everyone, as they're usually the most intense. Today's session was slightly easier than yesterday's. We did 3 reps of 10 minutes with a two minute break in between - 8 minutes at rate 18 and 2 minutes at race rate (I did it rate 28). Similarly to yesterday's urg session, by the time it came round to our third rep we were all pretty knackered, but again it helped us to understand the importance of pacing and recovery.
   Our final session was a water session. Normally I love going out on the water but by this point I was so exhausted I just wanted to go to bed! Instead of properly rowing we focused very heavily on technique compared to yesterday, which I definitely think we all benefited from. We started off with working on our timing, in fours we would all run up the slide and then slap our oar on the water. It took several attempts to get us in time but we got there eventually! We then worked on our posture, making sure we sit up straight and keep our arms straight for as long as possible and our hands level so that we don't unbalance the boat. This instantly made a massive difference as we had a lot more power rowing with the right posture. I got compared to a bull in a china shop at one point, as apparently my recovery up the slide was far too fast and I got told I needed to be a "cocktail waitress" and slow it all down which got a few giggles! Despite the fact we didn't get to do as much actual rowing as yesterday I felt a lot better about my technique when I left as I noticed an improvement in the boat and now I just need to make sure I remember to keep it that way!

   Overall, exhausting as the weekend was I think it was really beneficial to all of us. There's no point being fit and strong if your technique is rubbish, as you simply won't be able to row properly. I've definitely noticed improvements in my technique over the weekend, and hopefully when I next race these will become obvious and I'll become more confident. I also feel a lot fitter after all the weights, core and urg sessions, and I know that the hard work will begin to pay off soon enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment