Thursday 6 November 2014

Rowing Welcome Drinks

   After originally having decided not to go, I changed my mind 5 minutes before my friends were due to leave last night, and decided to go to the rowing team's welcome drinks for us freshers. It's tradition that every year the senior team arrange predrinks and a night out for the freshers, and provide a theme, games, forfeits, and lots of drink. It's basically an evening to help us bond with the senior team!
   This years theme was farmers and farm animals. All the seniors had to dress up as farmers, and all the freshers as farm animals. Normally when it comes to fancy dress I like to get really creative, however, since it was such a last minute decision this year, the only costume I had access to was cat ears, so I had to be an incredibly unoriginal farm cat. Abi had gone out for dinner with her stepdad and was getting back later, so I agreed to get a taxi with her so we didn't have to walk in on our own. Unfortunately for us, we both had to do forfeits for being late. Our forfeit was taking a shot, in a glass thank god, out of Matt, the fresher boys captain, belly button... without using our hands... It's safe to say it's the most bizarre, awkward thing I have ever had to do, and I'm determined to be on time for the next rowing social! Other farm animals included chickens, a mouse, sheep dogs, a duck and a penguin... however, it turns out that penguin farms do actually exist as their poo is harvested!
   After a few predrinks we left to go to Fifth in Manchester. Drinks are much cheaper on a Wednesday so everyone went a bit crazy to begin with, Jager Bombs were only 90p! I was pleasantly surprised at how much of the music I liked was in the playlist, as I normally find it's very house music, but perhaps as it was not a Friday they'd gone for something a bit different. It's safe to say I was very happy with Muse, Arctic Monkeys and Two Door Cinema Club! Throughout the night the freshers captains took plenty of photos, and we all just took it as an opportunity to bond properly with one another, which is definitely useful as we'll be seeing a lot of each other over the next year! I can't really remember the last part of the night, but I think that's more down to the fact I was absolutely exhausted rather than being too drunk to remember it. Overall it was such an amazing night, and the rowing team are absolutely lovely. I'm so glad I went, and it's made me more determined to enjoy being a student and go on more nights out with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment