Thursday 1 January 2015

New Year's Eve Surprise

   For the past few months my parents had planned a surprise day out for the three of us, and despite all my begging they refused to tell me what we were doing. Much as I love surprises, I hate not knowing at the same time! All I was allowed to know was that we were going to London for the day and we were eating two meals out - the rest I was to wait and see when we got there. I only took one photo because I was so absorbed in the day, so apologies for that!
   Our train got in at 11:30am and we headed straight for Covent Garden. The station was absolutely heaving! I've always known that London is an incredibly popular place to go for New Year's Eve due to the fireworks, but seriously it was ridiculous. We were early for our table for lunch so we had a wander through Covent Garden to pass the time. Covent Garden is one of my favourite places to go in London. I love the atmosphere it has with all the stalls and the street performers and just the general hustle and bustle. Everyone was just so excited and happy and it just lush! For lunch we went to Brasserie Blanc. We've been there a few times and I absolutely love it there. The food is amazing, the cocktails are insane and the interior of the restaurant itself is just so classy and sophisticated. For my starter I had roasted butternut squash and pumpkin, which was served with soured cream and toasted almonds. It was absolutely devine! I will definitely be attempting to recreate it at uni, it was so simple yet so tasty! For my main I had fried chicken which was stuffed with herbs of some description, which came with sautéed potatoes and a tomato and vegetable sauce. Again, it was so simple but so delicious! I can't remember what my dessert was called but it was a chocolate sponge filled with rich chocolate mousse, served with coffee custard. For someone who used to be a renowned chocoholic I actually found it a bit too chocolately! If you're never been to Brasserie Blanc I definitely recommend going, the food is unbelievable and you're honestly treated like you're royalty.
   After lunch it was finally time to find out what the big surprise was! Mum and Dad were still refusing to tell me, and kept counting down to how long it would be until I found out. They told me we were working there, and it's safe to say I was absolutely gob smacked when we turned the corner and I found myself standing in front of the Queen's Theatre. I WAS GOING TO SEE LES MISERABLES! I've seen the film twice but never seen the actual musical, and it's one that I've been desperate to see! I honestly can't put in words how unbelievable it was. It was seriously insane. Despite being incredibly sad it's such a beautiful musical, and the sound track is just amazing! It's safe to say I cried a hell of a lot because it pulled on a few heartstrings as all musicals tend to. If you haven't seen it you seriously have to go, it's by far the best musical I have ever seen - and I've seen a lot! 
   On our way to dinner I was on cloud nine. I just couldn't get over how unbelievable Les Mis was! We went to my favourite restaurant, Carluccios, for dinner. I was a creature of habit and had my favourite meal, Penne Alla Luganica, which is pasta with sausage meat in a spicy tomato sauce! I was incredibly lucky to have been treated to such an amazing day with my parents, and it was the perfect way to end 2014. When we got back into Kettering we went to my auntie's to see the New Year in with the rest of the family. It's safe to say this has been a New Year's I will definitely not forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment