Sunday 21 September 2014

Freshers Week

   Freshers week has been the best, yet messiest, week of my life to date. It has been absolutely insane yet incredible and has all passed by in a bit of a blur! It's been the perfect opportunity to meet new people and bond with the friends I made on the first night, as well as kill my liver.
   My main piece of advice to any first year, is to pay attention to what your flatmates, or in my case friends upstairs, want to do each evening, because not everyone will want to go out every night, in which case there'll definitely be a flat party! So don't worry, you'll still get to drink! My fresher's week was a mixture of both going out and flat parties, which I was really grateful for, as flat parties are a lot more intimate and allow you to create stronger bonds with friends you've already made. However, it is important to remember that all of the events you've been invited to for freshers have been specially created and tailored for freshers, and therefore you don't want to go missing too many of them.
   It's safe to say you will spend a hell of a lot of money during freshers week, so make sure you get yourself a job over summer to save up and allow you to splash out without having to worry too much about the consequences! Drinks do tend to be quite cheap at freshers events, but alongside paying the initial cost to get into the venue, as the night goes on the bill creeps up as you find yourself buying more drinks and grabbing a takeaway before you contribute towards the taxi back to your accommodation. I definitely recommend predrinking, as I found that the nights we had bigger prinks the less I spent when I was actually out. I tended to take out around £30-40, there was never one night where I spent all of it, but I was grateful to have the extra money just in case I needed it for whatever reason.
   Freshers is a great opportunity to pinpoint your favourite bars and nightclubs for the weekends when your course has started. Despite the fact drink prices will more than likely be higher once freshers is over, it's still great to know which bars and clubs you all prefer, as you'll be able to enjoy yourself more on a night out knowing that it's somewhere you're going to be comfortable. It's also a chance for you to find out the dress codes for the various clubs, as some will be a lot dressier than others, and the last thing you want is to go out in jeans and flats to see everyone else in dresses and heels! Definitely get the dress codes sussed out during freshers, and trust me, within about 5 minutes of being in there you'll know exactly what it is,
   Freshers is all about making new friends, so, similarly to what I said in my previous post, make the most of as many opportunities as you can, as although you can go to freshers in your second and third year, this freshers is your freshers! So you really need to make the most of it. Save your money, make yourself look hot, take a million photos and make memories you'll remember for the rest of your life.

Manchester Royal Infirmary
   One word of warning I do have for you is to monitor your drinking. I know it's boring because we all want to get drunk and have an amazing time, but after having ended up in Manchester Royal Infirmary two nights in a row because I drank far too much, I really do recommend that you keep an eye on how much you've had. Despite the fact that as a diabetic I already spend a lot of time in hospitals, I absolutely hate them, and having to go to one when you're unaware of what's actually happening to you is a petrifying feeling that I wish none of you ever have to go through.
   I am incredibly lucky that both nights I was in Abi was willing to stay with me and keep an eye on me, despite the fact that one night I had to stay in for 12 hours. Most people would have just left me on my own, so I am eternally grateful to her for being so supportive and caring.
   Trust me when I say it is absolutely humiliating, and I beg you, please do not end up in my position. Being vulnerable in a new city is not a sensible idea at all. I'm incredibly lucky that it didn't ruin mine or Abi's freshers, and despite the fact I still woke up every day with hangovers, I was a lot more sensible with my drinking after both incidents.






No comments:

Post a Comment