Saturday 27 September 2014

Induction Week

   Despite the fact that we treated this as a second week of freshers and went out every night, this week we had a few lectures to go to to give us all an insight into our courses and a chance to meet the other students on our course and our tutors. Abi, Inzy and I are all doing Broadcast Journalism, and so we were able to get the bus to MediaCity together.
   Induction week wasn't actually as useful as I had been expecting. The lectures were only an hour long and I didn't actually learn much about what I should expect from my course. However, it was beneficial to see who else I would be in lectures with, making Monday a bit less daunting.
   The most useful induction lecture for me was meeting the tutors. Each tutor took 5-10 minutes telling us about their background in the media industry and why they had decided to become a tutor at the University of Salford, and it was interesting learning how diverse the backgrounds they all come from are. It also reminded me that they're normal people too, and they seem a lot more friendly than many of my teachers did at secondary school, which'll make it easier for me to be willing to ask questions. It's also great to know that they've been in the industry that I want to go into, as they'll be able to help me produce industry standard work and give me tips on what to say and do in interviews so that I'm not just another university graduate with a dream to get into an incredibly competitive industry, I'll actually stand a bit of a chance.
 If your university offers an induction week I definitely do think you should go along, just don't expect to find out loads of information about your course etc, as some universities will prefer to leave that to your tutors during your lectures, whereas others will prefer to tell you it all in advance so that you know what to expect over the next year. Especially go to any lectures that will enable you to meet your tutors, as first impressions are incredibly important, and it's really beneficial to know who will be teaching you for the next year and what experience they have that will enable you to do better throughout your time at university.

No comments:

Post a Comment