Monday 8 December 2014

Assignment Time

   Unfortunately for university students, the lead up to Christmas also means the lead up to assignment deadlines. The time of year that should be full of festive activities ends up full of stressed students trying not to kill each other in the rush to get assignments in on time and to a reasonable standard. Therefore I'm going to give you my top tips on how not to work yourself up when it comes round to meeting deadlines. This won't be the longest post because a lot of my tips relate to things I've already spoken about in previous posts, but hopefully it will be able to help you in some way.

Prioritise
   Probably the most important thing to do before you even start your assignments is to prioritise them. Which assignment has to be in first, which assignment involves the most planning, which assignment involves the most work overall - if you prioritise before you start you will save yourself a lot of unnecessary stress later on. Similarly, if you get the harder, bulkier parts of your assignments done first, and leave the smaller, not as important parts until last, you'll feel a lot more relaxed about them.

Relax
   It's incredibly important that you don't forget to relax during deadline season. You can't expect your body to be able to cope with you sitting in front of the computer day after day for hours on end hammering out an essay, not only will you be exhausted but it won't be up to your full potential. I mentioned loads of different ways to relax and de-stress in a previous post, so give that a read to make sure you clear your mind every once in a while to help see your assignments from a different angle.

Set Your Own Deadline
   For my first uni assignment I set myself the deadline of getting it submitted 24 hours before the university deadline. I'm actually really glad I did this, because I felt so much more relaxed on the Friday knowing I'd already submitted it, whilst all my friends were panicking in their hurry to get it finished on time. I'm planning on doing this with all my assignments now, because in my opinion it's better to get it in in plenty of time and then be able to relax than be trying to submit it minutes before the deadline and risk your computer crashing, consequently meaning you get marked as a late entry.

Reward Yourself
   Again, this is something I touched upon briefly in a previous post, but I decided to reiterate it as I believe it's important. My 19th birthday is the day before my final assignment is due in, and so my reward to myself for getting all my assignments done is having a party and spending the day with all my closest uni friends. I know that if I don't get my assignment done in time I'm going to be spending my birthday at uni editing my TV package, which I can assure you is the last way I want to be celebrating turning 19. Therefore, I definitely recommend you give yourself something to work towards. Whether it's a flat party or just end of assignment drinks with your course mates, something to work towards and to motivate you to do well is definitely a good move.

   Basically, the sooner you get your head done and focus on your assignments, the sooner you can go out and enjoy yourself again and the better you will feel about it. Deadlines tend to be spread out over three or so weeks, and they are long and tedious, but it's only three weeks of your life, so just work hard and hopefully you'll be rewarded for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment