Tuesday 9 December 2014

Coping With Fresher's Flu (And Various Other Illnesses)

   Now that we're getting into winter, everyone seems to becoming ill. Thankfully I have a pretty decent immune system, so I seem to have avoided everything at the moment, but I still thought it'd be worth doing a post on how my friends have survived the various illnesses they've had between them. Also, despite the fact I've now been at uni for three months, I thought it'd still be useful to mention coping with fresher's flu.

Fresher's Flu
   It's guaranteed that at least one of you is going to get fresher's flu during freshers. Up to two weeks of constant partying, lack of sleep and heavy drinking is definitely going to take its toll on your body, and not everyone's body is going to be cut out to handle it. Amazingly, I don't actually think anyone in our friendship group got fresher's flu, but a few of my friends at other universities did. I think the main reason we all managed to avoid is because we didn't go out every night, we had flat parties some nights meaning we didn't have as late a night, and some nights we just stayed in and didn't drink at all. If you do end up being one of the unlucky ones who gets fresher's flu, the most obvious advice is to have a couple of days away from alcohol and eating properly, because all the fast food you'll eat during freshers won't help either. A few days catching up on sleep and allowing your body to recover will set you up to enjoy the rest of freshers with all your friends instead of making yourself even worse!

Alcohol Poisoning
   Similarly, it's pretty likely that one of you will end up with alcohol poisoning. Due to the buzz and general craziness of freshers week, it's unlikely you'll monitor how much you're drinking, and it'll definitely have an impact on your body. I think doctors recommend a month or so of no alcohol in order to allow your body to recover, and it's key that you ensure you stick to that, because there's no point making yourself worse because you're desperate to go out again! Catching up on sleep and eating loads of carby foods to soak up all the alcohol in your system are guaranteed to make you feel better after a few weeks, and then you can go back to drinking in moderation! Your body's supposed to last you a lifetime, so there's no point destroying it during freshers!

Flu
   Two of my friends have had the flu whilst we've been at uni, and my advice for that is very straightforward. Lots of sleep, layers and fluids! We made sure that my friends were wrapped in loads of layers and blankets with the heating on full and provided them bucketfuls of soup and tea to get them better as soon as possible! They themselves made sure they got as much as sleep as possible, and that definitely helped them get better a lot quicker than others who didn't get as much sleep as they should have been! As I keep reiterating, it's vital you give your body the full time it needs to recover, because then you'll be back on your feet much sooner than you will if you try and tell yourself you're okay and don't get your rest!

Winter Vomiting Bug
   None of my uni friends have had this fortunately, but one of my friends back home has, so I thought I should mention it. The symptoms are mainly similar to the flu, so again, lots of sleep, layers and fluids! I'd recommend not eating for the first 24 hours, because my friend couldn't keep it down and it made her feel even worse! So steer clear of food for the first 24 hours, and then try something light, like a slice of toast. If you manage to keep that down after 2 hours or so then try something else - whatever you do don't overindulge or go for heavy, rich foods, because you won't be able to keep them down and you'll be back at square one again!

   Basically, my advice for coping with all of them is the same - make sure you get plenty of sleep, drink plenty of fluids, non-alcoholic please, and keep warm! You may feel lazy and get bored having a week in bed, but it's much better spending a week in bed rather than three or so weeks feeling awful because you didn't let your body recover properly in the first place!

No comments:

Post a Comment