Thursday 2 October 2014

Citizen Khan

   Tonight turned out to be absolutely incredible! My friend Inzy rang to say that he had been able to get tickets to go and see the filming of Citizen Khan in the BBC Studios and that I was one of the people he wanted to go with him!
   It's safe to say that it was definitely bizarre watching the programme from a studio perspective rather than an audience member at home. Although I was already aware of the amount of work that goes into creating an episode of any programme, I was still in awe of the number of cameras, microphones and people on the set! It must be such a surreal experience acting a scene on the receiving end of all those orders and technology!
   I used to think that all TV comedies used a laugh track in order to emphasise key moments the director saw as funny, however, it's safe to say that Citizen Khan doesn't use a laugh track, it's all genuine laughter! What I particularly loved was the fact that not only were there moments where the whole audience was laughing, but also moments that some found funny but others didn't as I feel that this shows how diverse different people's senses of humour are. Although I laughed a hell of a lot at the actual scenes, I laughed a fair amount due to Inzy's laugh! I also loved the fact that there were people from all over the country there and from different backgrounds and cultures, showing how diverse a community the BBC brings together as one.
   The actors never broke character between scenes which made the whole experience a lot more enjoyable, as they ensured they stayed in role to make the scenes more realistic, rather than looking too staged and fake like some programmes do. Alongside this, they also had Ted Robins there to host the whole thing and keep us all entertained between takes! Having grown up watching him in The Slammer it was crazy to be in the same room as him! He kept us all entertained with stories, jokes and picking on various audience members.
   The actors messed up lines and dropped props and forgot what they were supposed to be doing at various times, which I loved as it reminded you that they were real people! They laughed it off and it was just so obvious throughout that they all absolutely adore their job and realise how lucky they are to be successful in such a hard and competitive industry. It's made me a lot more determined to do well in journalism and get my dream job of being a television presenter! Anything is possible if you put your mind to it.
   Overall, tonight was absolutely unbelievable and I am incredibly grateful to Inzy for the opportunity. I already loved Citizen Khan but now I love it even more! I cannot wait for the new series to start, and to sit watching the final episode knowing that I'm one of those laughs in the background! If you ever get the opportunity to go and watch something being filmed at the BBC then take it! Trust me, it is not something you will ever regret.



No comments:

Post a Comment