Wednesday 1 October 2014

Rowing

   So, today was my rowing taster session - the day I've been dreading! I was petrified the whole day leading up to it that I was going to fall in and make a twat of myself in front of everyone, but amazingly I managed to avoid that! Luckily 5 of my friends also signed up for rowing, and that definitely calmed my nerves and made me feel a lot more comfortable.
   We started off with a general talk about memberships, and what we should expect from rowing and what they'll expect from us. The more I listened the more it seemed like something I'll actually enjoy, and that maybe I did make the right decision signing up. It'll be a great way for me to up my fitness and be more active, alongside giving me something to do days I'm not at uni. Plus, it'll keep me motivated to actually get my work done and not just sit around watching TV all day on my off days!
   Our second workshop was learning how to properly use the ergs (rowing machines to you and I), as it turned out none of us could do it right as gym's lie to us! The proper way of doing it is definitely more painful but you can feel your muscles properly working, which I find particularly beneficial as it makes it seem much more worth it as I know it's having an effect. I know that a few months of training up to four times a week will definitely get me fitter and looking more toned, and if that's not motivation then I don't know what is!
   Our third workshop was a talk through the boat and a tour of the boathouse. This was followed by a run as we finished so quickly, and it's safe to say that proved how unfit I am because I got a stitch after about 30 seconds... Then we finally got to go in the boats! It's safe to say it was very confusing and I was pretty rubbish, but at least I can improve and not get any worse!
   Overall I actually really enjoyed myself, and I think I'm going to give it a go and get fit! I think it's something that I could definitely get into, and hopefully I might actually turn out to be quite good at it. Plus, it's safe to say that all of the boys we saw were incredibly muscular, and I wouldn't mind getting myself a boyfriend who's a rower! Ruth, Abi and I were getting all giggly at them, so just watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment