Friday 3 October 2014

Job Hunting

   I've finally decided that it's about time I became sensible and go about finding myself a job in Manchester in order to sponsor my nights out in Manchester and just life in general. Living in a city there are hundreds of jobs available, however, there are also several hundred people applying for them, so competition is very fierce!
   Having worked at Next back home, ideally I want to stay in retail, although I am quite interested in working at Trafford Stadium doing hospitality, as my friend Libby works there and recommends it. I've always been a people person, which is why I chose retail originally, but I'd still be able to use the same or very similar skills working in hospitality. Trafford Stadium also offers the opportunity to work in VIP hospitality which I will definitely be applying for due to the fact I would be over the moon serving the rich and famous who go to the various games and concerts held. This is yet another reason why I love Manchester, the opportunities are so diverse and endless.
   Alongside applying to the Trafford Centre I'll also apply to a few retail jobs such as Next, Topshop, Gap and H&M, as that's my comfort zone and I know what I'm doing! Despite the fact I've already worked in retail the atmosphere in Manchester will be very different being a city and I'll definitely be rushed off my feet all the time! However, it's something I'm looking forward to as I'm not going to be living in Kettering forever so I might as well get used to the hustle and bustle of city life to put me in good stead for the future.
   For anyone currently looking for a job, I definitely recommend Indeed. Whether you use the website or download the app onto your smart phone, they are by far the best job searcher in my opinion. You simply put in your location and what kind of job you're after and it'll bring up all the current vacancies, which may lead you to finding your ideal job or something completely different to what you originally thought you wanted! You honestly cannot go wrong with them, so make sure you use them.
   I reckon I'll probably apply for around 10 jobs and hopefully I'll be lucky enough to work with one of them! Having come from the comfort of having a stable job I am a bit nervous about having to reapply and go through the online application and interview process again, but I know it'll definitely be well worth it when I get a nice pay cheque going into my bank account! As a student, I think getting myself a job is a very sensible move, especially in my first year as that's going to be much less hectic than my second and third years, so if I can get myself some extra money for the next two years while I can it'll be incredibly beneficial to me in the long run.



No comments:

Post a Comment